At Girls Rock Philly, we create programming dedicated to the mutually reinforcing themes of sound exploration and self-empowerment. While acknowledging the forces that shape the realities of young people in Philadelphia, we offer a program rooted in untold histories and memories upon which we build supportive group environments that create celebratory expressions of sound.
Girls Rock Philly’s programs provide ongoing opportunities for learning, community-building, advocacy, and social justice. Our major programs and projects include:
- Our signature week-long summer camp program;
- youthBAND and soundLAB, songwriting and ensemble programs for youth and teens;
- safeSOUNDS, songwriting program for queer youth of all genders;
- Group Lessons, stand-alone instrument lessons on-site at GRP in bass, guitar, drums and keys held after school during the academic year;
- Summer Music Institute, a 5-week summer program that offers a deeper STEAM-based project approach to music and our mission and includes field trips around Philadelphia;
- A resource Library on music and feminism for campers and volunteers;
- Rehearsal spacee, free for youth and at low-cost for members of the GRP community;
- A gear loan program for practice at home year-round; and
- LRC, which offers a weekend camp experience twice annually to empower and support women and trans* adults.