Girls Rock Philly is a youth-centered music organization dedicated to building an intergenerational community of girls, women, and trans and gender non-conforming people. Through the practice of fearless expression, artistic experimentation, and collaboration, we build the confidence and leadership skills needed to transform ourselves and our communities. Our staff, volunteers, and participants foster a joyful culture of creativity, critical thinking, and collective care in order to build a more safe and equitable world.
Girls Rock Philly formed in 2006 as part of an emerging group of like-minded nonprofits across the U.S. and internationally, responding to a gap in music mentorship and healthy development opportunities for pre-teen and teenage girls. Internationally, this network has evolved into the Girls Rock Camp Alliance. Organizationally, we have evolved from a one-week summer camp – first held in August of 2007 with only 20 campers — to an organization with year-round programming reaching over 140 youth every year!
Our Major Programs & Projects:
- Our signature week-long summer camp program;
- youthBAND and soundLAB, songwriting and ensemble programs for youth and teens;
- Youth Action Council, a teen leadership body of Girls Rock Philly;
- LRC, which offers a weekend camp experience twice annually to empower and support women and trans* adults
- A resource Library on music and feminism for campers and volunteers;
- A gear loan program for practice at home year-round;
- Group Lessons, stand-alone instrument lessons on-site at GRP in bass, guitar, drums and keys held after school during the academic year;